Trailer Test and Towing Training
- Pass your B+E category test
- Regulation size trailer with weight
- Powerful 4×4 for towing
- Experienced trainers
- Essential for Trailer Licence
We provide car with trailer training to satisfy the requirements for the Category B+E trailer test, to obtain a trailer B+E licence. The load in the trailer is to a specific standard, to mimic the weight you may well encounter. Our trailer is loaded with the correct format load and to the required weight.
With a B+E licence, you are able to drive a car or van with many types of trailer including box trailer, horsebox, caravan and more. However, the rules are quite complex!
The rules about driving a car or van with a trailer, horsebox or caravan changed for drivers passing driving tests after the 1st January 1997. The rules are now quite specific that if you passed your car driving test (Category B) on or after the 1st January 1997 you can tow a trailer under the following conditions only:
- Motor vehicles with a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg.
- Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle
These combinations allow for Category B car drivers to tow a reasonably sized caravan. You need to know the gross weight of your car and trailer/caravan. You do not need to have a trailer towing licence.
All other combinations require a trailer licence, so you need to take the Category E trailer test: heavy car with trailer combination, minibus with a heavy trailer, large car and caravan. The rules are complex about Driving Licence Categories, vehicle specifications and the age at which you can drive which affect vehicles with trailers.
Category B+E allows a larger trailer, but the towing vehicle is restricted to 3,500Kg MAM. The trailer size depends on the licence valid from date.
Towing Trailer Training
We provide car and van trailer towing training, car and caravan driver training (B+E driver training), which applies to all sorts of trailers including:
- Horsebox trailers
- Builder’s trailers
- Larger car and caravan units
- Camping trailers (these can be heavy)
- Flat trailers for carrying vehicles
- Other domestic trailers
We get asked if there is a specific horse trailer test. No its the standard B+E test, or for larger trailer it may be a C1+E or a C+E test.
Call now to arrange your HGV / LGV / PCV Driver Training