Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)
What is Driver CPC ?
The Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) is a European wide qualification for professional lorry, bus and coach drivers with intention of maintaining a high standard of driving and therefore improve road safety. It comprises of two main elements:
- Initial Driver CPC, a series of 4 modules when you first take the test
- Ongoing and Periodic training to maintain your LGC and PCV licence, either as 35 hours in year 5, or 7 hours per year for 5 years.
How it Applies
- New Bus and coach Drivers who wish to have a full PCV “D” or “D1” category driving licence must complete the 4 modules of the Initial Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) driver CPC test before they are legally allowed to drive with passengers.
- The same requirement applies to drivers who wish to have a full “C” or “C1” category driving licence.
- Any lorry of 3.5 tons and upwards and minibuses with 9 seats or more are covered by Driver CPC.
- The Initial driver CPC is solely for new drivers just acquiring their licence for the first time. See our Initial Driver CPC page for more details.
- If you hold a C, C1, D, D1, your Driver CPC is valid for 5 years from your test date.
- A Driver CPC lasts for 5 years, during that time you will need to complete 35 hours of periodic training to drive professionally.
- These rules have been put in place by the DSVA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency)
Only approved Driver CPC courses count towards the CPC hours. The courses are more theoretical than practical, very different to the more practical driver training we provide.
We recommend The Training Service Ltd in Burnley for the periodic Driver CPC training.
Call now to arrange your HGV / LGV / PCV Driver Training