Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)
What is Driver CPC ?
The Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) is a European wide qualification for professional lorry, bus and coach drivers with intention of maintaining a high standard of driving and therefore improve road safety. It comprises of two main elements:
- Initial Driver CPC, a series of 4 modules when you first take the test
- Ongoing and Periodic training to maintain your LGC and PCV licence, either as 35 hours in year 5, or 7 hours per year for 5 years.
How it Applies
- New Bus and coach Drivers who wish to have a full PCV “D” or “D1” category driving licence must complete the 4 modules of the Initial Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) driver CPC test before they are legally allowed to drive with passengers.
- The same requirement applies to drivers who wish to have a full “C” or “C1” category driving licence.
- Any lorry of 3.5 tons and upwards and minibuses with 9 seats or more are covered by Driver CPC.
- The Initial driver CPC is solely for new drivers just acquiring their licence for the first time. See our Initial Driver CPC page for more details.
- If you hold a C, C1, D, D1, your Driver CPC is valid for 5 years from your test date.
- A Driver CPC lasts for 5 years, during that time you will need to complete 35 hours of periodic training to drive professionally.
- These rules have been put in place by the DSVA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency)
We recommend The Training Service Ltd in Burnley for the periodic Driver CPC training.